Who said life was supposed to be easy?
Not really haha!
How did I wake up that early to train? No, it wasn't caffeine...well, sometimes it may have been. It was was actually something called “Delayed Gratification.” Here is a summary of a study done about this:
“In 1970 psychologist
Walter Mischel famously placed a cookie in front of a group of children and
gave them a choice: they could eat the cookie immediately, or they could wait
until he returned from a brief errand and then be rewarded with a second. If
they didn’t wait, however, they’d be allowed to eat only the first one. Not
surprisingly, once he left the room, many children ate the cookie almost
immediately. A few, though, resisted eating the first cookie long enough to
receive the second. Mischel termed these children high-delay children.
Interestingly, the children
who were best able to delay gratification subsequently did better in school and
had fewer behavioral problems than the children who could only resist eating
the cookie for a few minutes—and, further, ended up on average with SAT scores
that were 210 points higher. As adults, the high-delay children completed
college at higher rates than the other children and then went on to earn higher
incomes. In contrast, the children who had the most trouble delaying
gratification had higher rates of incarceration as adults and were more likely
to struggle with drug and alcohol addiction.”
-(Source: Psychology Today, “The power of Delaying Gratification” by Alex Lickerman M.D.)
-(Source: Psychology Today, “The power of Delaying Gratification” by Alex Lickerman M.D.)
Getting up at 5 am was NOT EASY AT ALL! I would roll out from under the covers
(half-asleep) only to feel the freezing air prick my skin. At the present
moment, I was miserable.
Fast forward 3 months
later…
I’m on the block about to swim at conference, knowing I have
put in the hard work and have what it takes to achieve. Training is NOT easy. Not only is the training hard, but the race
itself is going to HURT just as much if not more…if it doesn’t, you are not “giving it your all.”
BUT it IS worth the hard work when you race a PR. The feeling you get when your training pays
off is the BEST feeling ever!
Next time you think, “this is hard,” and “why am I doing
this?” make sure to remind yourself that it is not meant to be easy. If it was easy, then everyone would do it. That’s
part of what makes “the athlete” a unique breed. We possess the skills to persevere through
challenges that are harder than hard. We push our limits and continuously go out of
our comfort zones-I forget what my “comfort zone” is sometimes until someone asks me "doesn't that hurt!" (to which I reply, "well, yeah...I guess...I don't think I just do") COMFORT IS OVERRATED! I remind myself this
after hours pass and I’m still riding on this hard bike saddle-Must. Get. Off.
Bike. Soon….Chamois Butt'r Anti-Chafe to
the rescue!!!)



No comments:
Post a Comment